French Yogurt Cake
This yogurt cake is perfect; however, in an attempt to make things even better I’ve soaked the cake in a lemon syrup and covered it in glaze! This is one tasty lemon loaf!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups sugar – divided
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
3/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup lemon juice (reserve 2 tablespoons for glaze)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, zest, yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla. Gradually fold in flour mixture until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour. Meanwhile, dissolve 1/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Allow 15 minutes for cake to cool then remove from loaf pan and place on a cooling tray atop a cookie sheet. Pour lemon syrup over yogurt cake and allow it to soak in.
- Once cake has cooled, cover with glaze. To make glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Enjoy!
*Use vanilla yogurt if that’s all you can find. Just be sure to exclude the vanilla extract!